Monday, September 6, 2010

Pee, Poop, Sleep, and Walmart trips

Hi Friends,

So Lacey has been here 6 weeks and things are finally settling down a little. Note to my childless friends: CHERISH every non-interrupted night of sleep you enjoy and being able to just get up and go do whatever you want whenever you want. :) Because as soon as you have kids, your whole life will revolve around the next time they will need to eat, when they will nap, etc.

Before I had kids, I was always a little cynical about people who "let" their kids dictate every little thing they did. However, I have definitely learned that I was wrong in my thoughts. Now when I see a Mom in Walmart with 2 kids under the age of 5 and a baby, I think "Super Mom" (or crazy woman)!

I'm sure I am a little more paranoid about things because this is my first kid, but I have literally decided not to go to Walmart by myself because I was afraid I might need to pee or try on a new (much bigger) sports bra and wouldn't know where to leave Lacey while I was in there! Or, I was afraid she would get hungry while I was there and start screaming and everyone would be glaring at me thinking, "I hate screaming kids in Walmart!" (I know I've had that thought before!)

One other surprising thing about this "Project Motherhood", as Jess coined it, is that before I had kids the thought of baby poop, baby spitup, etc. really, REALLY grossed me out. That was one major reason I never wanted to babysit. But strangely, now that it is MY kid, I have been peed on, pooped on, spit up on, and whatever else and it's not that big of a deal. You just change clothes and go on. My Mom always said things are different when it's your own. Guess she was right...once again.

New Mama McCollum

1 comment:

Jessica H said...

So glad you have reached the 6 week mark and can start sharing all your wisdom with us on your blog!

I had dinner with a friend with a newborn yesterday and she explained the whole "what do you do with the baby when you need to use the restroom in a store" thing - I can honestly say I'd never thought about it before then!

PS Post pics too!